Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Short Beach Trip

Got back last night from a short but sweet trip to the beach.  On Sunday I picked up Kay and Brian in Richmond and we drove down to South Carolina.  There was a brief panic after running over a glass bottle in a parking lot, but luckily we avoided flat tires, and arrived at "Downton Litchfield" (Litchfield Abbey?) around 8:00 Sunday night.  Mike, Kelsey, Josh, Sara, and Jeff stood in the living room looking for all the world like a Downton Abbey greeting party and in the background Jurassic Park played (the scene with the "Welcome to Jurassic Park" music).  Excellent.

In short order, we had sangria in our hands, baked spaghetti, garlic bread, and were regaled with tales of the night before when Kelsey had had nearly two bottles of wine and protested loudly that SHE WAS SHY.  VERY INTROVERTED.  We then commenced a game of "Cards Against Humanity." The best was when I had to decide whether Kayne's next album would involve him rapping over the sounds of "A sad fat dragon with no friends" or the sounds of "Firing a rifle while balls deep in a squealing hog."  NB: Don't play this game if you're easily offended.

The next day I woke up early, as did Kay.  We made tea, then sat in the little sunroom nook chatting.  After a bit, we decided to go to the beach.  Despite the freezing the weather, the beach looked beautiful.  We walked a bit, but couldn't stay out too long.  Half an hour later we returned to the beach house, made more tea, and recommenced to chatting in the sunroom nook.

It was a lazy day: I napped, we finished Jurassic Park, and I began to read The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists by Gideon Defoe.  I became interested in the books after seeing the film The Pirates! Band of Misfits shortly before Christmas.  I had ordered Adventure with Communists thinking it a funny title, and oh goodness did this book deliver!  I have never laughed so much in my life.  I also read probably 1/3rd of the book aloud to the others at the beach (sorry guys, but it was just too hilarious to keep to myself!).  Do yourself a favor: read these books!!!

That night we ate seafood.  We went to a place called Nance's, which has delicious hushpuppies and honeybutter.  I got lobster tails for my meal-- a bit of a splurge, but deserved, I think because--  I got my first (only?) graduate school acceptance!  Visiting weekend comes later this month, so I shall visit and decide if I want to commit five+ years of my life to this program.  But, it's very exciting to have gotten an offer.  :)

I meant to stay at the beach for one more day, but the threat of snow in Virginia forced me to come home a day early... so I sadly missed a trip to the sculpture gardens and drunk grilling.  Now, however, I am back home for a few days, resting up and packing pre-VEGAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment