Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

February to March

It's the last day of February, and the shift to March seems immense.  February connotes quiet, blanketed in cold, a kind of sleep that comes after the excitement of the holidays and the beginning of the new year.  We're calm after being frozen for so long.  The weather won't switch in a heartbeat: the forecast shows no end to the bitter cold.  But March means something new; March heralds the hope of warm weather, at the end of March is April, and March knows all of this.

At the risk of this turning into a cat picture blog, I wanted to post a picture of my cats.  February is the month of Valentine's Day, after all, and their little bodies make a nice heart shape that I couldn't resist posting as an ode to the passing February.



Last night I took the evening off in preparation for a(nother) working weekend.  After my Approaches to Teaching Literature class, I met up with two girls from my cohort for a happy hour.  We talked school and critical thought, we talked television shows, we talked Spring Break.  We ate mozzarella sticks.  When I returned home, I watched the last 2/3rds of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and found myself livetweeting it, all unawares of what I was doing until the end.  Silly, but a nice way to relax my brain after a long week, with a long week ahead.

The next week is going to be immensely stressful.  On top of a larger than usual reading load, I have two papers to write.  They are short, luckily, but sometimes the short ones are the hardest.  The only thing keeping me going as I push through this bitterly cold, overly-stressful week is the thought of Florida sunshine, pineapple Dole Whips, and Disney Magic.  All of that waits at the end.  All of that waits after Chaucer and Middleton, after teaching philosophies and critical readings.

All of that waits for me in March.

1 comment:

  1. You, and through you, Disney, are what's getting me through these weeks :)

    ReplyDelete