Since returning home, the weather has been almost uniformly gray, foggy, and humid. Those blue-blue skies of autumn have yet to peek out from behind the clouds, and even the cooler temperatures are marred by drenching humidity. Still, I'm hopeful that as the world turns into October, mornings will become bright and crisp, and golden-red-orange leaves will stand out against a blue sky.
Regardless of weather, I'm excited for October-- my favorite month. I can't wait to watch Halloween favorites like Practical Magic, Hocus Pocus, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, and, of course, Halloweentown. This year, Zan and I plan to watch some horror films (for real, this time!) like The Orphanage, and maybe have a vampire movie-a-thon (with films like Only Lovers Left Alive and Interview with the Vampire). I'm also looking forward to the release of Crimson Peak in theaters.
Besides movies, October is my favorite month for food! It's finally the time of year for full-on pumpkin ales and porters. It starts to get cool enough for chili, stew, crusty breads, and roasted vegetables. I have a million recipes to try (I will make a chicken-chili this year!).
It's also the best time of year for hot apple cider and sweaters and starting to look forward to Christmas and beginning to work on homemade Christmas gifts. The change of seasons makes it ideal for a good "autumn cleaning," taking stock of the year as it starts to spin into its last change. I want to tidy up our apartment, then fill it with seasonal items, like a cinnamon broom and maybe a few decorative gourds. I also hope to fill it with wonderful smells of baked apples and pumpkin pie. Autumn is the best time for cozy-ing up with a good book and popcorn and seeing friends and feeling thankful.
Moreover, new months are lovely in and of themselves: as Anne Shirley says, "Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it." New months and new seasons are inspiring-- clean states, all ready to be filled with new (ad)ventures and new memories. Happy Autumn!
No comments:
Post a Comment