Pages

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Then you may take me to the Faire...

Yesterday I went to the Virginia Renaissance Faire for the the first time ever, which is rather surprising considering that I like Ren Faire type things and that I have had a friend in the cast for the past two years. I had an absolutely fantastic time. The fair is at Lake Anna Winery, about an hour and forty-five minutes from Williamsburg, so I listened to The Hunchback of Notre Dame soundtrack on the way up-- how did that movie get a G-rating? The song "Hellfire" alone should have given it a PG.

Anyways, I got to the Faire and waited a bit for Katie and her friend from grad school, Amanda, to arrive. Once we were all met, the Faire was fantastic. I hadn't seen Katie for more than five minutes in a very long while, and it was wonderful to finally have time to spend with her. We started at a jewelry vendor who had amazing rings, although he somewhat sketchily asked Katie to Joe's Crab Shack for dinner. We were all slightly weirded out. We wandered to the Noble's Glade to find Callie/Cass after that. She came over to talk to us for a bit, but seemed a bit busy. We decided to get food next; we went to the Fish and Chips vendor which had surprisingly good food, and we ate in the pub where there was much carousing. A storyteller/magician named Croaker was behind us in the food line and made things somewhat awkward, but maybe that was just a hold-over from the man at the jewelry vendor. No matter; Katie and I had a chance to actually catch up a bit during lunch, and I got to know Amanda a bit. We had a really nice lunch.

After lunch, we tried on corsets. Amanda bought a beautiful blue custom-made corset, and I tried on a gorgeous corset with a silvery/purple Celtic design. So beautiful. I wanted the pretty. It was quality made and cinched my waist to probably 19 inches and I loved it, but I just couldn't justify the purchase. I sadly let it slip through my fingers. I did, however, buy a Galadriel tiara at another vendor's booth-- it's bronze with a sparkling white drop bead. Where else could I find such a beautiful, elven looking headpiece? No where, that's where. Maybe a different Ren faire, but certainly not in any store in Williamsburg. I wore it for the rest of the day. I was so happy with my purchase. While we were at the tiara place, Kay arrived!!!! We grabbed more drinks at the pub, and found Callie/Cass, then Kay tried on a corset and we admired her. Callie/Cass and her friend entertained us as their Faire characters for a bit, then we looked at Alpacas. By that time it was about four o'clock, and I decided to start back to the 'burg, since my parents were visiting and I wanted to spend time with them.

Today was my first day at my new job at Bella. I really enjoyed it. The store is so cozy and stuffed with beautiful items. I even bought a new piece for myself-- I had been eyeing it for months, and with a thirty-percent discount I couldn't pass it up, especially after giving up a corset the day before. I think I'm going to really like working there. I began reading "The Lingerie Handbook" and it's wonderful.

Tonight I ended up at the Leafe with Maggie and some new friends, so at least I know I won't be lonely this summer! Things seem on track, for once. I have a wonderful job, wonderful friends even if they are spread around the globe, and a whole new summer group forming.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the Faire! I ogled those corsets, too, but I did not have the $300 to buy one...so last week I made myself a new corset for about $70. When I come to Williamsburg in July I will have to visit Bella while you're working and spend lots of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lingerie handbook! I swear, I've read that thing about 4 times. It's delightful.

    Also delightful was having a 19 inch waist. I'm sure we could get used to that... I really want that corset!

    ReplyDelete