Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Up, Up, and Away!

Currently, I’m in Albuquerque, New Mexico with my parents visiting my grandparents, my aunt, my uncle, and my two cousins. We arrived late Thursday night, spent Friday morning with my grandparents (they are in an assisted living apartment), took my grandma out for lunch at Applebee’s (as per tradition), and went out to dinner with my aunt and her family. Since the last time I was here, my cousins Stephanie and Jared have grown up so much! It’s crazy! Stephanie has gotten to be absolutely beautiful, and Jared is so sweet and talkative and engaging. Last night he showed me all of his sports trophies, his train town, and, most importantly, his balloon cards.

Oh yes, it is also the weekend of the International Balloon Fiesta. My aunt and cousins love the Balloon Fiesta, and now I can see why.

We woke up at 4:15 AM this morning, and were out at the Balloon Fiesta field by 6:00 AM or so. We got little cinnamon buns and coffee, looked at the tents and lights-- so carnivalesque in the still-dark morning-- and as the sky lightened, the balloons began to inflate… hundreds and hundreds of balloons flying through the morning sky.




Pure magic.

Also, a very sweet picture of my Dzadek—that’s Polish for grandfather. He will be ninety in December. Today he suggested that for my career I join a theatre troupe and take up acting, not thinking of tomorrow, eating when I can, and generally being, in his words, “a vagabond woman.” I love this man.



(All photos by me, if you'd like to reproduce them please do so with credit and a link)

3 comments:

  1. Your Dzadek, he is a wise man.
    Also, yay balloon fiesta! I have cousins out in Albuquerque too, and every year they send us amazing pictures of all the crazy balloons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it.... It's on my bucket list to ride in a hot air balloon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were four hours away from me.

    :(

    I've heard that the balloon fiesta is superawesomeriffic.

    ReplyDelete