Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Real Weekend

I have weekends again now that I'm working, although starting next week they will be on Tuesday and Wednesday instead of on Saturday and Sunday.  But this weekend I had a real weekend-- a break from work, at the proper time and everything.  Predictably, I spent it with Zan.

I drove to the mountains Friday evening, arrived at his home in time for dinner, and we had an Indian take-away feast that his dad had picked up: perfect, after making my curried rabbit that I could only taste, but not eat.  We had chicken tikka masala with naan, a lamb curry, paneer and peas, samosas, and poppadums.  We sat out on the porch in the perfect evening air-- warm, with a hint of a breeze, so no mosquitos or gnats or flies.  We talked about tennis, and the kidnapping of Frank Sinatra's son, and when someone thought Lydia was the kidnapped Patty Hurst and her cat went mysteriously missing.  We looked at the sheered sheep in the fields and the blue water of the pool that will feel so good later this summer.  The next day Zan and I headed to town to see Love's Labours Lost at the ASC.  We sat on the stage, and since we knew several of the cast members we got singled out quite a bit for attention during the show.  I kissed one actor on the cheek and another gave a bit of love to Zan.  Alas, no surprise ending (no surprise), thus Jack had not his Jill.  Ah, well.  It was a very good play.  We had dinner again on the porch, and afterwards watched Doctor Who and now we're all caught up just in time to hear that Matt Smith is leaving the role.  Late last night, after we had gone to sleep, Lys and Zach arrived, so today we got to see them, and spent the morning with mugs of tea and coffee, chatting away about life and their upcoming wedding.  Then, home again, home again, to go to work tomorrow and, hopefully, to receive my costumes.  I'm itching for my shifts and jumps; they'll be much nicer and cooler to work in than my modern clothes with my too-large Historic Trades polo.

Now the challenge is to coordinate weekends with Zan so that we might take fun trips and see plays and go on winery tours and do summer things despite both having full-time jobs and different weekend days.

No comments:

Post a Comment