It's called Pears Stewed Purple, or Pears Stewed Portuguese. The recipe can be found in several cookbooks from the period, and it's very easy to make! You will need three pears, port wine, sugar, cloves, and lemon-peel (optional). Skin your pears, then leave one whole and cut the rest into quarters or eighths. Put them in a relatively deep earthenware dish-- or a deep oven safe dish-- and add in about two cups of port wine, a quarter of a pound of sugar, some whole cloves (not too many!!! Too many cloves can make your mouth go numb. Maybe only a teaspoon full, or 6-8), and a little bit of lemon-peel, if you choose. Cover them with parchment paper and put them in the oven at about 325-350 degrees farenheit. I have no idea how long this will take, so I would say to check every twenty minutes or so. I cut the paper open to check. Once they have softened and begun to take on the color of the wine they are done.
Arrange them on the plate, garnish with cloves, then enjoy! They have a very nice flavor and can be served warm or cold, though I really liked them warm out of the oven.
Looks yummy! Glad you had a great summer!
ReplyDelete