I've made the claim to have attended my last first day of classes at least once before now, so I'm hesitant to say so again with certainty. But, at least for the foreseeable future, yesterday was my last first day of classes! Last first day of classes that I'm taking, and not teaching, anyway. See? Very little may be said with confidence when it comes to last first days of classes.
The day started a bit rough, for no discernible reason, but ended on a very nice note. For months now, we thesis-writers have been panicking a bit about our first day of thesis class. Our professor asked us to speak on our topic for 5-7 minutes, and few of us felt prepared to do so. The day before yesterday Cara and I had lunch together to prep what we might say. The lunch made me feel less panicky, but not entirely settled. So, yesterday I woke up, drank my tea, and read a few 'beads' in Eat Pray Love (it's good practice for me to have a book from which I read a small amount per day and really reflect on what I've read, especially this book with its religious and self-knowledge themes). After an early lunch, I caught the bus to campus. I worked on booking flights for a wedding I'm attending next month, then stood up too quickly and hit my side hard on a handrail. It really hurt. I plunged into a dark mood. To try to cheer up, I purchased a clementine flavored soda and a Snickers bar, then dedicated the remaining hour or so until class to reading Heavens to Betsy. I've needed this sojourn to Deep Valley.
Then class started, and I absolutely love our professor. She's warm and friendly and guided us through our initial presentations with ease. I even ceased to feel nervous! After class, I briefly discussed with her an idea I've been having for a new direction, and wondered if she thought it too late to switch things up a bit. The talk made me feel an inkling more excited about my thesis and definitely put me in a better mood. Then I checked my e-mail, and I got the job at the library! I'm thrilled!!! I really, really think this might just be the start of something good. And thus the day ended with a pint with some friends from my program, and the prospect of good things to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment