I feel like I've gathered many puzzle pieces and I'm still not certain how they fit together. I think I've found all of the corner pieces, but there's no box to refer to, so I don't know which corner is which. Maybe I'm putting it together upside down? I've spent hours today reading, typing, reading, referring to old notes, taking new notes, re-reading some poems, thinking some more, going over my last thesis to get ideas of structure, thinking again, and so on. I'm hoping that if I just sit here a bit longer letting everything percolate a beautiful and clear structure will present itself to me. I feel like it's there, I see how these things all fit, but I can't quite write it yet. Not in a thesis-acceptable way.
I've spent the past two days in Williamsburg. I've always worked well in Williamsburg. I feel like the city jams my thinking, clouding it with traffic and anxiety, but here I feel like I have so much space and freedom and oh so many trees. When I need to take a break or think more deeply, I can simply take a walk down my favorite street in the world. There's a ready supply of sticky toffee pudding, vanilla cokes, my favorite Mexican place, fast food, and a 24-hour Wawa with their extra-caffeinated mocha machine-- perfect for when I want to write late into the night (I've found that, unfortunately for me, I do my best writing at 3:00 AM). And at night here, I can actually see the stars; given my thesis topic this time the stars really help me to put it all into perspective.
All I need is that picture to refer to, and I know I'll be able to put this puzzle together.
Stars are one of the things I miss the most about being in the city.
ReplyDeleteAnd your thesis will come together! The blank piece of paper is always the hardest. Just remember that it's okay to start writing in the middle. =)