Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

The World Made Round

It's time for Out of Africa again. I draw strength from it, both the film and the book. Isak Dinesen (Karen Von Blixen) lived through so much, both good and bad, yet still maintained a beautiful outlook on life and humanity. Today, I tried to read a little from a book for my thesis, but I'm too distracted right now by everything that is going on. My heart hurts. I needed something quiet, something that would both allow me to reflect and allow me to escape.

I'm working on a new painting. It's colorful, with trees and peaceful looking hills and a little house with a red roof nestled in there by the lake. The sun is setting and the sky is purple and pink and yellow. Above I have little boxes with pictures of flowers, leaves, and shooting stars, and the top and bottom are lined with the words "Go Out For Adventure, Come Home For Love." When it's finished I might take a picture of it to show you all.

I also made a Shepherd's Pie. Cooking was nice.

In Out of Africa, Karen says, "Perhaps he knew, as I did not, that the world was made round so we would not see too far down the road." That quote has always resonated with me, especially in times like this, when everyday seems to bring a fresh hurt. The road is full of both good and bad, but maybe it really is best if we do not know what is coming, so we can fully feel the joy of the good, and not live each day dreading the bad. It would be nice, though, to have something other than death, pain, and wounded feelings on the path in front of me.

One other thing from Out of Africa that also really sticks with me is Farah's reaction to a lion attack that happened while he and Karen were traveling. He said, after they fought off the lion, who still managed to kill an ox and almost killed Karen, "Msabu's bleeding. She does not have this ox. This lion is hungry. He does not have this ox. This wagon is heavy. It does not have this ox. God is happy, Msabu. He plays with us." It is the best way to think about misfortunes and heartaches that I have ever heard.

I think Farah would have been a wonderful and wise person to know. I would recommend the books Out of Africa and Shadows on the Grass to anyone wanting both a lovely memoir and timeless wisdom. They are quiet tomes of strength and beauty, joy and sorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Every time someone mentions Out of Africa, I always think of the time you fell asleep to it and woke up demanding very aggressively why I had put Hidalgo on.

    I miss living with you.

    ReplyDelete