Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Whovian Rant

I typically don't write much about television shows on here, but I had a conversation with my mom last night about Doctor Who, and I realized what really bothered me about the Christmas Special and the introduction (or second introduction) of the new companion.

It started when I began to reminisce about Rose, Martha, and Donna.  Particularly, I was thinking that, of all the humans in the world, why Rose?  I am not a huge fan of Rose.  She was okay, but it really got to me how the Doctor would always praise her, say she was the greatest, fall in love with her, etc., when in fact, I think she was his weakest companion.  She's fine and all, but the only human on the planet worth loving?  Really, Doctor?  It's like an Angel/Buffy thing-- you are hundreds of years old, yet you fall in love with a teenager-- and specifically this teenager?  Hmm.

(Why her, Doctor? WHY ROSE TYLER?; photo found here)

Anyway, that got into how wonderful Martha was, how strong she was, how she walked away from the Doctor in her own best interest.  How she saved the planet in a year that almost no one but herself remembers, how she led a resistance movement while the Doctor was no more than a tiny shriveled mouse-sized being in a cage.  Rose couldn't have done that.  Rose would've curled into a ball and cried and wondered why the Doctor wasn't saving her.  Rose is nothing special. (Though, to be fair, after she was gone I did miss her a little bit.)

(This is the face of badassery: Martha Jones; photo found here)

Then, I thought, how classy Martha, Donna, and even ROSE were compared to Amy and the new companion (Clara or Oswin or whatever they plan to name her).  Because, despite the fact that Rose totally loved the Doctor, she didn't just start making out with him the second she saw him.  She had a boyfriend and while Mickey gets treated like shit later on, at least-- unlike Amy on the night before her wedding-- Rose didn't start making out with the Doctor immediately.  Martha was totally in love with him, too, but she never forced herself on him.  She had too much self-respect and class.  She took 'no' for an answer.  And Donna-- ah, Donna Noble, the best of them all-- wasn't even interested.

(Sassy and strong, must be Donna Noble!; photo found here)

So yes, Amy throws herself at the Doctor.  That, of course, gets resolved, but it still struck me as a bit... class-less.  Particularly when you have a fiance as wonderful as Rory.  Then in the Christmas Special, Clara throws herself at the Doctor.  And he seems to really like it.

That's the clincher, because, whatever happened to River Song?

 (Hello, sweetie!  Never touched by an angel, River Song; photo found here)

I can see why Eleven falls for River Song, and it doesn't bother me, even though Ten was madly in love with Rose.  Why?  Because Eleven is a new being.  Same Doctor, new personality, new person.  Nine liked Rose, but Ten loved her.  Eleven can certainly love River Song and, lest we forget, marry her.  So Eleven is a married man in the Christmas Special, and we never wrapped up the River Song story.  I'd be on board with him falling for Clara if-- and only if-- they wrap up River Song.

What I want are two more River episodes.  One where she barely remembers him, they've had one adventure perhaps, and one where he says, "River!" and goes to kiss her and she says, "Who are you?!" and perhaps pulls a weapon on him.  Then he can have that heartbreak-- that same heartbreak she had with Ten in the Library-- and move on.  It can end, perhaps, with him giving her back her Tardis-shaped journal and saying, "Here you go, sweetie.  Don't read too much-- spoilers."  It would be sad and beautiful, but until then I don't want to see him attracted to and enjoying kissing another woman.  It seems somehow wrong given the relationship with River that they spent a few seasons building.  He told her his name.  He married her.  I know they tied her inextricably to Amy and Rory (for some strange reason) but just because Amy and Rory are gone doesn't mean River has gone, too. 

(Yes, these two are gone, Doctor, but River technically hasn't even met you yet! Photo found here)

Ok, this was a long rant, but it needed to be said.  I don't want Eleven attracted to Clara/Oswin until he has no hope with River anymore.  It makes him seem very fickle indeed, and I think the Doctor is too good of a man to completely forget his wife, the only one who knows his name, without a proper-- and final-- goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment