I don't go much in for Valentine's Day. I mean, I love getting cards for my friends and I'm all about chocolate whatever the occasion, but the romance thing seems hyped. I don't want to go out with my partner for a fancy, expensive dinner just because it's Valentine's Day, or feel like I have to get him a card or a gift or something. And I don't want him to feel that way about me. I'd much prefer flowers on some random day of the year when I'm not expecting them, or when I really need a pick-me-up. Plus, for me and Zan, our anniversary is only a bit over a week later, so it seems a bit much to celebrate both.
However, though no gifts or cards were exchanged this year, Zan and I did make the day special, if a bit non-traditional. We started out the day with brunch at Aroma's and split an order of strawberry crepes. I must say, those crepes have only gotten better throughout the years. Then we saw a late-morning showing of Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. I have wanted to see this movie for ages and I was not disappointed. The film does not take itself too seriously, it uses anachronism to the best possible effect, and it's produced by Will Ferrell. How can you go wrong? I thoroughly enjoyed it.
After the movie, we came home and napped. Seriously. After Mardi Gras this past week/weekend I felt exhausted and needed the sleep. We woke up, then had a late lunch at the DoG Street Pub (Cornish pasty, what!) and saw the screening of the 24 Speed Films at the Kimball. 24 speed, for those who don't know, is a competition in which filmmakers have 24 hours to make a five minute film. They are given a genre, prop, and line of dialogue which they must incorporate. Zan and his team made a film over the past weekend, while I partied in Louisiana. I love the film, and I'll post it in a few days, after the awards ceremony tomorrow night.
After the film screening, we stopped by Trader Joe's, and as we unloaded groceries and tried to figure out dinner, Zan mentioned bowling. Bowling. Bowling is fun. Before I knew it, we whisked ourselves away to the bowling alley for two hours of pin-knocking glory. I'm terrible at bowling-- my high score out of five games was 54-- but I loved every minute. We got home late and had a midnight meal of 'Spearean risotto and salad. The perfect Valentine's Day.
(I haven't forgotten Mardi Gras pictures, don't worry! They are coming!)
No comments:
Post a Comment