Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Letdown

The other night a group of us got together at Epi to celebrate the end of our first year.  I said to my friend Danielle, "I'm just feeling kind of... depressed, oddly.  Like, I'm done and I should be happy but..." and she replied, "I think we all feel that way.  We're going going going with all this adrenaline for weeks and then it's over and we need purpose in life again."  I'm glad it's not just me.

Since last Thursday I've felt oddly under- and overwhelmed.  I'm back to my old habits of wanting to read every single book on my 'for fun' list in just two days, while also wanting to devote loads of time to Rosetta Stone, while also wanting to just veg on the couch with a stupid iPad game and Netflix.  Plus, I know that I have a summer course starting soon, so I want to get a jump for the reading on that, I need to solidify a thesis topic, and I want to work on a conference abstract.  I want to go to the grocery store and spend hours on homemade meals and cakes, I want to clean every inch of the apartment, and I also just want to sleep for days.  I have a bit of travel coming up, and I think getting out of this area for a few days will help me to settle, and to recharge for my summer course.  And I'm really grateful to my summer course: I feel like it's already giving me direction and that elusive feeling of 'purpose.' 

One bright thing about summer, though, is feeling like I can go see friends again.  Last night, Mike and I re-inaugurated Twilight Zone Tuesday, known fondly as TZT.  In our undergraduate days, Mike and I were 'co-presidents' of TZT, and never missed a single Tuesday during our senior year. 

 (Co-Presidents and Best Friends!)

 (Twilight Zone on the telly!)

Last night, with some old and new faces, we again sat down to pizza, desserts, and a relaxing evening of some familiar episodes (such as "Two") and some that we had never seen.  So, while my days are spent in existential angst over what book will make me happiest, and if I should just learn Spanish instead, I know that on (most) Tuesdays I'll always know exactly where I should be.   

No comments:

Post a Comment