Yesterday I woke up, turned to Zan, and said, "It's July! It's almost Christmas! We need to watch Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July!" Then I checked my e-mail and I had a message from my dad with the subject line, "It's July 1-- Merry Christmas!" Indeed.
In all honesty, I can't believe it's July. 2014 is flying. On the one hand, if I think about it, it has been a long year. Last semester was grueling. The winter was long and cold. I spent months in my aviator cap. Seeing Mandy Patinkin and Peter and the Starcatcher in February feels like a million years ago, and even my horrible tooth/sinus infection is a distant memory. On the other hand, we're over halfway to Christmas again! My Satire course feels like it just started! How did we go from snow to summer?
I'm not doing well with my resolutions. I've only been to church four times in six months. I've not started ballet or yoga. I haven't taken a road trip. I've taken three 'airplane' trips, but my long hoped for holiday in Britain has been indefinitely postponed. I really thought I'd be there today, celebrating ASE's 25th Anniversary. I've only Rosetta Stoned moderately, and this past month-- not at all. Shameful, when I really have had time, if only I'd use it a bit more wisely.
But, despite not making good on all of my resolutions (yet!), I have had a good year. I had a wonderful Spring Break trip to Disney World with my best friends; I visited my grandma, my aunt, and her family in New Mexico; I spent a few lovely days on the beach with my mom. Zan and I have seen some great theater, and we've got tickets to The Lion King later this month. I've absolutely loved my summer course. I've read forty books so far this year. I've gotten a thesis adviser. I've made time for family and friends outside of grad work: I feel like I'm learning to strike a balance after all of these years. I'm learning what's really important to me.
So, overall, I can safely say that halfway through 2014, it has generally been a good year.
Now to make the next six months even better!
No comments:
Post a Comment