Today has felt entirely too fall-like for August. Don't get me wrong, I love this weather, but... it's unsettling. Is this recompense for the harsh winter? Or does it mean a harsher winter ahead? It also brings thoughts of melting glaciers and rising sea waters to my mind. Sometimes I just can't let myself enjoy a good thing. But I should, because, I mean, this weather might be the only silver lining!
And, strangely, it's like everyone else is conspiring to make fall happen in the middle of August, too. I ordered a seasonal ale today at a pub up the street, and I was told that they now had the Oktoberfest on tap. What?! What happened to my summer seasonals? I understand that clothes lines get in fall merchandise early, since people start buying for the season in anticipation of the season-- but beer? I want my pumpkin ales and Oktoberfest brews in autumn, not August! Right now I want to continue to savor my wheat ales... and my days without classes. Especially those.
Because days without classes mean time to read (okay, most of that reading is for my thesis, but it feels so relaxing and pressure-free right now!), time to use my Rosetta Stone, and time to listen to audiobooks while driving and/or cross-stitching! I've started a free trial of Audible and got the audiobook of The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet. It's a companion to the webseries The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, which you may remember I became totally obsessed with last year. It's an eight-ish hour long audiobook, and I'm about four hours in. Surprisingly, I really like it. I thought it would just sort of be a recap of the videos, but it's not. It's like seeing behind the scenes into "Lizzie's" life. I'm learning all sorts of salacious details omitted from her videos! It makes me miss last year when I could look forward to new videos and tweets from the characters, and when Megan and I had lunch at the Blue Talon and gossiped about the Jane, Lizzie, and Lydia as if they were real life people. Interactive webseries are the way of the future, people.*
So, that's where I'm at right now. Trying to enjoy the last few days of summer, despite the world (and the weather) suddenly pushing onto autumn. Tomorrow I'm attending a baby shower for a friend, on Monday Zan starts some pre-classes school stuff, and I'm going to do my best to finish at least one more research related book before my own classes start, in an effort to sharpen/focus my topic. Wish me luck!
*As in the post I linked to, this is not a sponsored post for The Lizzie Bennet Diaries or Audible. I just really like The Lizzie Bennet Diaries and, now, the audiobook of The Secret Diaries of Lizzie Bennet.
No comments:
Post a Comment