Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Tentative Thesis Revelation

I'm a little scared to say it, since I've said it so many times before and I keep getting stuck, but... 

I've had a thesis break-through.  I think, finally, I see where I want to go.  I don't know exactly what I want to argue yet, but then, I didn't know that for about a year with the last thesis I wrote.  But at least now, instead of eagerly grabbing at anything and everything that captures my attention or seems even tangentially related to something I might possible want to write on someday, I have a more focused reading plan and something that feels like an honest-to-God topic.  I have even picked out a couple of central literary pieces from the huge mess of poems, short stories, treatises, and novels I've been looking into-- a step that has done more for me than anything else to this point.  I feel more positive about everything, even if thus far my attempts at writing on the subject have been a little crap.  Writing always starts out a little crap, so I'm not too worried.  The fact that I can envision writing sixty pages, finally, warms me to the cockles of my hitherto grad-frozen heart.  Before this is over I'll probably have several more weeks of nerve-wracking stress, feelings of inadequacy, and days and nights of questioning everything I've ever thought, but I think I've finally gotten to the point that I can just make out a path through the woods.  One foot in front of the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment