Pages

Friday, February 13, 2015

Audio Books/Book List

So far this year, I've read five books-- and four of those I've "read" via audiobook.  I started out with an Audible trial in August, to get The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet for free, and despite thinking that I'd cancel my membership after the trial, I've stuck with it.  I love it.  I've "read" all of my Austen books with Juliet Stevenson narrating (and Carolyn Seymour, for Pride and Prejudice, since Juliet Stevenson never recorded that one), and I've even gotten in some "for fun" "reading" while I cook dinner, during my commute, and if I have some not-too-involved task at work, like numbering folders, fulfilling scan and copy requests, or consolidating maps (long story).

I will say, though, I've quite enjoyed not having my sidebar "Books" widget.  I think if I had just those five titles staring back at me I'd feel guilty doing anything but reading.  Only five books this year so far?!  FIVE?!  But that doesn't take into consideration the hours upon hours I've spent writing my thesis, or the hours I've spent reading and rereading the poems on which I'm writing, or all of the secondary research articles and chapters.  Nor have I seen any movies--at all this year-- so it's a good thing that my "Movies" widget is gone, too.  But what fun I've had watching Doc Martin, the new season of Parks and Recreation, and Agent Carter!  It's pretty freeing not feeling the need to catalogue these activities.

But, even so, I am going to tell you what books I've read (or "read"): holding the actual book, I've read The Mysteries of Udolpho, perhaps the longest book ever written (a little hyperbole, but not much).  It was 633 pages, but the font size was somewhere around Times New Roman 10, maybe 8.  Not hyperbole.  The books I've listened to are Mansfield Park by Jane Austen, Peter and the Starcatchers by Ridley Pearson and Dave Barry, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, and As You Wish by Cary Elwes with Joe Layden.  I have so much to say about these that it wouldn't all fit in one post--maybe I'll start doing book reviews--but it's been a fun 2015, reading/listening-wise!



Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, no, this is not a sponsored post.

No comments:

Post a Comment