So after the huge relief at MedExpress, we headed to Target because I had been remiss the past couple of days and needed to get a few last minute gifts for the two parties I planned to attend. I had bought a children's book for Kristi's baby shower, but not a present.
Tangent: picking out children's books is the most difficult thing in the entire world. I kept seeing ones that I wanted to get, and narrowing it down to one was so hard. I mean, how to choose with books such as The Rainbow Fish, The Giving Tree, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie... I settled on Strega Nona by Tommy DiPaolo. But I spent about forty-five minutes in the picture book section trying to decide. I even bought myself a Chris Van Allsburg book that I had loved but had never owned. I'm a sucker for books, even children's books. Maybe especially children's books.
Anyway, Zan and I went to Target where I went a bit crazy buying Halloween cards, baby shower cards, birthday cards, and pretty gift bags. I think we also picked out some nice gifts for Kristi and Annie. But the trip to Target meant a bit of a later start getting to Kristi's, which led to a late arrival at the baby shower, since it was a two hour drive away. Still, I think having my schedule thrown off by a sudden trip to MedExpress was a good enough excuse.
The baby shower was beautiful. Kristi looks so gorgeous and I can't believe that she's going to be a mother so soon. I know she'll be a good one, but I'm still amazed that someone my age could possibly be starting a family. Logically, I know that girls much younger than me have had children, but to see Kristi's huge belly, to feel Natali move... it's magical and surreal. I never thought I would say that. I'm so anti-having-children, and normally think they are all little crying balls of annoying, but, witnessing Kristi's pregnancy really makes it feel a bit more like the miracle everyone says it is. Because, it is. I'm so excited to meet Natali and to watch her grow and to spoil her with toys and books and clothes. Kristi is a few months younger than me, but she already has a husband, a little house, a nursery, two dogs, and a baby on the way. In some ways it makes me feel so young. Most of the time, though, I'm happy for her because she has what she has always wanted, and I'm happy for me because I don't have that yet. We are each fulfilling our dreams, and they have always been very different. I think, for all we've been through, we have each arrived at such a wonderful place in our lives.
After the baby shower, I drove the two hours home, then jumped in Zan's car for the ferry ride across the river to Smithfield for Annie's birthday party. So much fun!!! They live in an old nineteenth-century farmhouse, which appealed to the historian in me. Annie and her family are so fantastic. We had the best food, and there was a birthday cake, and Annie loved her presents, and in the background her father and some of her family friends were playing folk music on the guitar. Then Josh texted and said he's in the 'burg and we're going to get lunch today and everything combined so I just felt happy. Zan is healthy, Kristi is having a beautiful baby, Annie was surrounded by love for her birthday, her sister Mandy (also my friend) is excited to leave for her study abroad trip to England, and my cousin is visiting. It just seems like the world is full of such joyful things.
Especially those ferry rides. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment