Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Spice Up Your Life!


(Pre-Closing Ceremony Going Live)

The crowning moment of the weekend was, of course, the Olympics Closing Ceremony.  I got a last minute ticket through Visa, and I couldn't have been more excited.  The day began with the British Museum and the exhibits described in the post below, then back to the hotel around noon so my parents could catch a bus to the men's basketball game final.  We had a quick lunch, then they were off near one o'clock.  I spent my time showering, catching up on e-mails, and FaceTiming with Zan.  A good use of an afternoon, I think.

At three forty-five I, too, made my way to a bus.  From the hotel to the Olympic Park took about an hour through the thick London traffic.  We made our way through White Chapel, past Victorian-esque buildings and roads lined with Indian restaurants, and stopped in the North Lot of the Olympic Park.  After a long walk, I made it to the Visa Hospitality place where I awaited my parents arrival.  There, I had goat cheese and fig salad, black bean and beef stew, two kinds of sushi, and some pork and potatoes.  Yum.  Then I got my program for the Closing Ceremony and walked to the Stadium.

Inside, magic was already underway.  The center of the stadium had been transformed into London, with the London Eye at the center, Tower Bridge, Big Ben, and the Gherkin, which was on its way up... quite humorous to watch, given the shape of the Gherkin ;).  An Emcee came out and instructed us about how to act once the Closing Ceremony went live.  We practiced our responses to Russell Brand's rendition of "I Am The Walrus" and a few other odds and ends.  Then he had us all take out our camera phones and take a picture at once.  A collective gasp arose from the crowd.  It had been beautiful, thousands and thousands of little flashing lights like stars.  I think that was honestly prettier than anything else that night.  Just all of us gathered together sharing a moment, or should I say creating a moment.  For, after all, the moment could only be created by our willing participation.  Such a very, very simple thing.  Sometimes humans are magical.

Then the Emcee told us there would be pyrotechnics and anyone wearing Primark clothes in the front row better be careful (Primark clothes are mostly cheap synthetics, thus, highly flammable).  We all laughed.

Before I knew it, Big Ben chimed 9:00 and the ceremony began!  I'm sure you all watched it, so I probably don't actually need to describe much to you.  But, being there felt vibrant.  Prince Harry came out with Kate beside him (Wills was called off on RAF duty).  Real cabs and trucks began circling the stadium as "London" came to life.  A plethora of musical acts.  And the athletes!  They came running right down our aisle!  We saw Belgian athletes, and Australian, and others I couldn't even tell from where as it wasn't written big enough on their uniforms!  They all looked so excited and happy and so many had cameras and were giving high fives.  It was a really, really thrilling moment for us all, I think.  Once they had entered the stadium these people in what I call "TARDIS" outfits (blue jacket and shorts and a blue hat with a little light on top) kept them in their designated areas.  They conducted the Men's Marathon Medal Ceremony (go Uganda!)--


(The Tardis People Awaiting the Athletes as the Flags Advance Across the Stadium)

Then the real music began.  I'm sure you all saw it.  George Michael, Russell Brand... but the real fun started with Jessie J, Tinie Tempah, and Taio Cruz.  Suddenly everyone was on their feet dancing and singing and I felt incredibly thankful for all that time I spent listening to BBC Radio 1.

THEN-- THE SPICE GIRLS!  Need I say more?  AH-MAZING!  My elementary school self was in total awe, and so was my twenty-five year old self.  Gah, The Spice Girls!  I went a little crazy screaming and dancing and singing along, but so did everyone else in the crowd so it felt alright.  And now, I think, my life has been made.  Seeing all five of The Spice Girls together.  They could've just made the Closing Ceremony a Spice Girl's Concert and I think that would've been fine with just about everyone there.  The true highlight of the night (minus the camera phone bit). 

Overall, a magical, wonderful, evening celebrating the best of Britain... and now, my friends, it seems that the entire city of London has Post-Olympic Depression.  We keep saying it's not really over because we still have the Paralympics, but the energy has definitely changed a little bit.  The good news is, after the Olympics ended the shopping sales began... ;)

Stay tuned for Oxford: Round Two, dresses fit for a princess, a trip to Notting Hill, and more!

1 comment:

  1. I think you forgot to mention ONE DIRECTION?! It's ok, I understand that it's pretty overwhelming to see them.
    Oh wow, reading your thoughts on what it was like to actually be there was amazing. What a special thing to have been a part of. Hope you cheered loudly for the Aussie athletes. And I thought those costumes looked like Tardis' too :)

    ReplyDelete