I just spent a lovely 24 hours in Washington D.C. with some of the best people I know. There's really no place like home, and no place like being with some of your closest friends and people who will quickly become your closest friends. In that short span of time I got to see Brian (who conveyed a hello and a present from Kay, who could not be there in person), Mike, and Josh-- three of my best friends from undergrad-- and I got to see Kelsey, who I adore and love more each time I see her. I also (finally) got to meet my "best friend," Emily, said hello to Davia, and met a new friend, Ben. All around perfect time with perfect people.
I arrived in D.C. a bit before noon yesterday, met up with Brian and Mike at a Starbucks in Chinatown, then had lunch at the first Chinese restaurant we saw with a lunch special. Too, too much food, but so incredibly tasty. Then Josh and Kelsey joined us for an exciting time in the National Portrait Gallery where we had a guy sort of follow us around creepily for a bit, before we lost him in the modern art part. We walked to Union Station so Brian could catch a bus home, Josh and Mike had call for the show that evening, and Kelsey and I met up with Ben to go to a really cool speakeasy in the city. Greatest bar ever-- very expensive, but worth every penny. It really, really feels like you've stepped back in time in this place. I could've stayed for hours. Kelsey and I both got champagne cocktails that were out of this world, and Ben was ordering these fancy drinks that I don't know the name of that had smokey aftertastes and spicy notes.
Then the show! Georgetown Law Gilbert and Sullivan Society was putting on The Mystery of Edwin Drood and it was so good!!! Mike and Josh were fantastic, and I loved seeing them onstage together again. Everyone had such good voices! And the voting bit was tons of fun-- Josh was the cutest most unexpected murderer (I voted for him), and though I'm sad I didn't get to see Mike as Datchery like everyone else, he was voted as a lover, so that was good.
This morning I attended St. John's, and I just feel so much happier after going to church. Then my dad and I got beignets, and now I'm back home with plans for a nice bottle of wine with my friend Jason. I absolutely love being home. I just love being here, with so many of my friends a short-ish drive and/or train-ride away. I love getting to see the shows they are in, getting invited to their parties, going for drinks. I love the autumn leaves and the fact that it was 73 degrees and sunny today. I'm so so grateful that I got to come back east for the fall. My soul feels alive again.
We had such a good time with you Absi! It just felt right, going to museums in DC with you again. That's how it should be. I'm jealous that you and Kels and Ben got to go to The Gibson without me, though. Next time...
ReplyDelete:) This post almost moved me to unicorn tears! And I just can't convey how excited I am that you are now on the east coast. Thanks for a wonderful weekend:)
ReplyDeleteAw! It seems like you have been having a wonderful time lately! It's great to catch up with friends. I'm excited to do that over Thanksgiving break!
ReplyDelete<3Chelsea Elizabeth