Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Barefeet



 Yesterday was cold and dreary, so even though today dawned sunny, I figured it would still be frosty outside.  Hence, I made a cup of green tea and settled in with a book, The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente.  I've read this book before, but I had forgotten what a masterpiece it is.  It really, really is.  I highly recommend it to anyone who loves Alice in Wonderland and/or modernist/postmodernist literature.  I reread it because the sequel just came out, and I needed a refresher on the story.  But I've never forgotten one quote from it: "You can have grief without adventure, but you can't have adventure without grief."

Anyway.  I finished it around 1:00 and ventured outside just because I wanted to sit in the sunshine for a minute.  And, strangely, it was not cold in the least.  It was 70 degrees outside!  So, I texted Jason and we met up on Duke of Gloucester Street and went for a walk.  The thing is, because of the book, I decided to try walking in a new pair of shoes.  Yes, because of the book.  Because the book explains that each pair of shoes wants something different-- fancy sparkly shoes want balls, slippers want dancing or sleep, etc.  So, I thought, "Change my shoes, change my life."  After about half a mile, though, the shoes began to wear blisters.  Very badly.  So, I took them off.  I walked barefoot nearly all the way back.  And it was such a lovely, odd sensation.  I veered off the pavement to feel warm ground and soft grass under my feet.  In early January.  I suppose walking barefoot wants something, too, like shoes.

I doubt this bubble will last, but for today it felt wonderful. 

(Photo by Zan, August 2010; 
no one paid me to say nice things about Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland, I really just love it)

No comments:

Post a Comment