Because of the car accident, I never posted about visiting Zan just prior to Christmas. I arrived the Friday before Christmas and Zan and I went to the ASC (American Shakespeare Center) to see Twelve Dates of Christmas. Twelve Dates is a one-woman show written by a former ASC actor. It follows a woman named Mary through one terrible year of her life: at Thanksgiving, she sees her fiance kissing another woman-- televised courtesy of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade-- then spends the next year recovering. She goes on twelve dates over the course of the year (or on several dates with the same person) and each one in some way teaches her or helps her. The play made me laugh and, at points, cry. Alli Glenzer, who played Mary this year, was wonderful.
The next day we headed to town early to get late lunch with Zan's friend Hunter at the Baja, where I had these amazing puercos en serrapes (I think that's how it was spelled). They were tortillas stuffed with pork and fried, then covered in a corn and black bean salsa and spicy honey. So. Good. I will have dreams of these pork tortillas for many a moon. After late lunch, we looked in a few shops for a gift for Zan's gift exchange party, then it was back to the ASC, this time for Santaland Diaries. Unlike Twelve Dates, I have seen Santaland Diaries before. I couldn't wait to see it again, this time starring Jake Mahler. Again, fantastic. Santaland Diaries never prompts tears in the same way as Twelve Dates, but it sure did make me laugh!!! I really loved Jake's take on Crumpet the Elf. And after the show I got to talk to Denice, who I hadn't seen in a year, and I just adore her.
We left the theater to go to Christmas parties: first, with Zan's family friends, then with Zan's high school friends. Both parties had good food, good people, and good conversation. I just have a memory of warmth and happiness from both. And that was my weekend, wonderful and full, just prior to the accident.
-----------------------------------
And a new gadget in the sidebar. This year, I'm adding in "Movies, 2013." I have a real issue with not seeing enough movies, even ones that I really want to see, so I decided to hold myself accountable this year. I have a list of films that I really want to watch, and so this year, I will. Probably. Please feel free to weigh in via comment-- on any post whatsoever-- about what you thought of a film, should you see one on the growing list that catches your eye!
No comments:
Post a Comment