Then today at work I cooked Asparagus Forced in Rolls-- or, stuffed in rolls (forced coming from an Old French word meaning "to stuff"). It was a neat little recipe from Hannah Glasse's cookbook. First, I took some French rolls, grated them until round and white, cut off the tops, then hollowed them. Next, I put them in a fry pan with some butter until they were nicely fried. While those fried, I cut stalks of asparagus into tiny medallions. Then I put some cream, beaten egg yolks, nutmeg, and salt over the fire in a saucepan, and once it had begun to thicken I added my asparagus stalks. Once cooked, I filled the hollow bits of the French rolls with the asparagus sauce, then cut three holes in the lids of each roll. I blanched six asparagus spears, then put them in the holes, because the recipe calls for each roll to appear as if "the grass" were growing out of tiny mounds of earth. Best part? I have a picture! I made these!
Can't wait to post more pretty food pictures as the summer wears on!
that's awesome! I think it took me two whole minutes to figure out what you meant by grating a french roll. Oh man, 18th century food customs - so foreign to me! Can't wait to see (and learn) more! This is such a cool summer job =)
ReplyDeleteYou would LOVE this job! I actually mentioned you today while interpreting-- your wonderful pea soup with the Virginia ham!!! I'll be posting pretty much everything I cook, I think, so be on the lookout! Except today I did an egg pie, so you probably shouldn't eat that :).
DeleteThis look SO good. I totally looked this up on the Colonial Williamsburg website.
ReplyDeleteYeah, Foodways has a food blog with a lot of these recipes on it, and they have conversions for a modern kitchen so you can make it at home. I really want to try the candied orange peels!
Delete