Did you all know that September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month? My friend Megan knows, and has written an excellent post about how childhood cancer affects lives, although most people seem to want to ignore the issue because it's pretty depressing.
The thing is, childhood cancer is real, and until we start becoming aware of this and start doing something about it (like, researching ways to stop it), it will continue unabated. As Megan points out in her post: Childhood cancer patients and
caregivers have no other support when we are quiet or we look away. They
get almost no funding from drug companies. They get less than 4% of
cancer funding from the government. They get less than 1% from general
cancer charities like the American Cancer Society/ Relay for Life.
Perhaps part of the problem is that most of us (if we're lucky) have no concept of how this disease affects families and friends. Fortunately for us, Charles M. Schulz, creator of the Peanuts Gang, made a Peanuts Special on this topic to educate us. Please watch "Why, Charlie Brown, Why?" and then begin to agitate and advocate on behalf of Childhood Cancer Awareness!
(I do not own the copyright to "Why, Charlie Brown, Why?", and I am not trying to infringe on copyright law.
If you own it and want me to take it down, please feel free to contact me and I will do so.
I make no money from this blog. I just want to spread awareness!)
No comments:
Post a Comment