Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

A Little Busy Bee

I thought once Cabaret closed I would have an abundance of free time-- so much so that I would sit around watching movies and reading books for fun and sometimes just being downright bored in the most gleeful of ways.  This has, of course, proved untrue.  It sort of started that way: Sunday night after a long day at Cabaret strike, I decided to take time just for me.  So, I put on my PJS, then curled up in bed with tea and Netflix.  I spent a lovely night watching both Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Thor, neither of which I had ever seen.  Then Monday morning rolled in, and I have been going non-stop.

Between catching up on the workload of two seminars, beginning to think seriously about/research for my final papers, and attending Modernities Working Group and an Apprenticeship Teaching seminar, school is keeping me hopping.  End of the semester is right around the corner, and we're all feeling the crunch.  I need to go go go if I'm going to get everything done and done well.  The last few papers looming over my head have me feeling just an edge of anxiety already... in just four weeks, I need to have completed all of my work for this semester.  Right now, it's a chilling thought.

Then, additionally, I am happy to report that I will be dramaturging GG&SS's winter play The Tempest by William Shakespeare!  If you know me, or you've followed this blog for any length of time, you know how much I love Shakespeare and theater.  I'm so excited to be a part of this production, to get to research production history, to put together actor packets, to teach a little about scansion, and to uphold the vision of these two directors.  After our first meeting last night, I am very excited about this production-- the directors' concept is gorgeous and really well conceived.  And I get to research for it and to help the cast and crew put it all together!  This, of course, means a lot of work-- work I am very happy to undertake-- but still, something I need to direct a lot of energy and time towards if I'm going to do it right.

And, of course, I need to see my friends!  Last night I attended a most excellent karaoke party with my cohort.  It was so nice to see them again, after missing a lot during Cabaret.  We really bonded over the singing of mostly 1990s pop songs.  Then tonight is a "low-key" movie-watching party night with the cast/crew of Cabaret (with whom I want to keep in touch).

So, with school, The Tempest, and a social life hanging in the balance, I find that all of that time I supposed I would have for just me-- with tea and a book, or Netflix-- has totally gone out of the window.  But I think I'm okay with that.  Maybe Winter Break will be enough time to recharge... when I'm not cooking up eighteenth-century masterpieces with my Foodways friends, of course. :)

1 comment: