Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Return of the Elf

Thump-THUMP.  Thump-THUMP.

I wake up.  Zan is still asleep, and I know the best way to get him out of bed is to make coffee.

Thump-THUMP.  Thump-THUMP.

I enter the kitchen.  Standing at the sink, I can see into the family room, but I notice nothing-- yet.  I'm focused on measuring the water, putting in just the right number of scoops of ground coffee into the coffee-maker.  I never drink coffee, so the process is new to me.  I want to get it right.  Once I have started the coffee-maker, I put on a kettle for my tea.

Thump-THUMP.  It waits.

I re-enter the bedroom, and gently shake Zan awake.  "I made coffee for you," I say.  He smiles, so warm and genuine.  He gives me a kiss, and consents to come to the kitchen for coffee.  We get out mugs; he fills his with the coffee, I pour the hot water over a pouch of Earl Grey.  I begin to head to the family room to turn on the television-- I stop short.  I let out a shriek.  My soul curdles with terror. "Where did he come from?!" I cry out in fearful dismay.  Zan only laughs.  As usual, he denies all knowledge of the provenance of this elf.  The nightmare has returned.  I will be on my guard until Christmas.

It smiles, a small, sly smile.  Christmas is Coming!


(For a complete account of my feelings on Elf on the Shelf, re-visit this post!)

3 comments:

  1. The elf is pretty sly indeed. He is no longer in his box in Williamsburg.

    He's watching you. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. The elf on the shelf is terrifying. If we'd had that when I was a kid, I would have had nightmares all Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete