Pages

Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Little Blue

After Christmas always has a letting down period.  We build up, and build up, and build up.  Packages come in the mail everyday, and everyone scurries to hide presents in nooks, and more wrapped gifts appear under the tree.  We visit the post-office, full of joy as we send off loving bundles into the world.  We watch movies we only watch once a year, read books that only come out on Christmas eve.  We build gingerbread houses and bake cookies.  We look at all the lights. 

Then Christmas is gone and it's still winter.

This year my aunt came to visit all the way from Texas; we had a wonderful three days with her!  I was working most of the time, but we still had fun.  We ate at wonderful restaurants.  She came to visit me in the colonial kitchens.  Zan came down, too, to meet her.  But today they all left.

Today I also finished my job with Foodways, and the real world seems to be pressing down again harder than ever.  A glossary and actor packet to complete for The Tempest.  A dentist appointment tomorrow.  Returning my 18th-century clothing.  Planning for the next week as I prepare for New Years, then return to Georgetown and classes and dramaturging and stress.  Trying for another semester to find an affordable apartment.  Nothing I wanted to do over break seems to have been accomplished.  I didn't read the books I thought I would.  I got no cross-stitching done.  I haven't even spent as much time with the cats as I'd hoped.  And now it's about three quarters over.  

So, I'm a little blue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment