Over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I officially donned by dramaturg hat! I formatted and edited The Tempest for our GGSS production. The directors sent me an HTML edition with their initial cuts. I then went through and, cross-referencing the 2008 Norton Shakespeare edition, formatted to show shared lines, corrected spelling from the HTML edition, made additional cuts, and-- at times-- chose places to share lines differently from the choices made by the editors of the Norton Shakespeare. I would have liked to use a facsimile First Folio, but at the time I didn't have one on hand...
I also had variable punctuation between the two versions-- and boy, does punctuation matter. Figuring out how to punctuate was a beast, because it can make such a difference in how an actor interprets a line. Additionally, since we have several women cast as male characters, and the directors want those characters to be women, I changed pronouns, "sirs," "fathers," "brothers," "lords," and "masters" to the feminine (while trying to maintain the meter).
Altogether, formatting and editing the script for performance took nearly ten hours, but I had so much
fun working with the play that I didn't even notice the time passing. I actually wished I had more time to work with it-- but alas, it needed to get sent to the directors for approval ASAP, and I had obligations for class to worry about over the break. And, now that classes are over... I still have two major papers to write. But all I want to do is research for the actor packets and compile the glossary!!! ...I
think I should take this as a sign that I need to find a way to throw
myself back into researching and making early modern drama-- or making some kind of theater-- full force.
No comments:
Post a Comment