As of today, I should've met in seminar six times this semester. Instead, between snow and professor cancellations, I've met in seminar twice. Twice. One of my classes hasn't met at all yet. Is it any wonder that I'm having trouble settling into this semester? Of course, that twice doesn't mean I don't have reading to do, or short papers to write that must still be turned in, even if we don't meet. So, I'm in an odd position of feeling like the semester hasn't really started-- it has no rhythm-- and also feeling stressed out and over-busy. I'll be very grateful when (if?) things start to proceed normally.
Additionally, the weirdness of the on-again off-again semester is compounded by the fact that Zan and I finally secured an apartment and we're trying to move in. I'm incredibly excited to have our own place, but moving is stressful. We're sleeping on a (very comfortable) air mattress, we've unpacked our kitchen supplies, and we've bought new plates so we don't have to use our Mickey Mouse ones anymore. Last weekend we spent in Williamsburg going through our boxes from Seattle, and bringing up the things we needed. Yesterday was a snow day, so we really took time to try to get those boxes unpacked. But we still have no furniture, no television, no internet. Luckily, his dad's apartment is nearby, so we ate there yesterday and caught up on Parks and Rec a little bit.
I think this semester may be trying to teach me something, though. There's a lesson to be learned in cancelled classes and in self-motivation. There's the reminder that I do this because I want to-- or at least, I should be doing this because I want to. The reminder that I should take joy in what I get to read and write, not what I have to read and write. And the reminder that at the end of the day, reading or not reading, writing or not writing, will not make the world spin more easily or make the world end. There's the reminder that I am an adult-- a full-fledged adult-- and not an undergraduate who still thinks of nothing but grades. The reminder that there is so much more to my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment