Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

End of January Happiness

This past week has actually been really good.  There have been a few moments that I really want to remember, either for their simplicity, or their exciting-factor, or just because they made me smile.  So I'll just go ahead and document them here, so I don't forget.

Last Saturday I had dinner with my friend Shea at Bayou Bakery.  We got coffee first-- I got an Irish coffee-- then we got dinner.  I had mac n cheese with Parmesan and beef brisket, and cane soda.  So good.  We also exchanged Christmas gifts, and Shea gave me an adorable French Connection striped shirt with a heart.  I love it.  She really knows my style.  She gave me a skirt a couple of years ago that is far and away my most worn skirt.  We also had a great conversation that may have sparked a movement that will help me with the completion of my M.A.  More on that later.

On Sunday, I went to church, then met up with a group of girls in my cohort for brunch at Bread & Chocolate.  After brunch, we headed to a bookstore called Politics & Prose.  Such a lovely place!  I think I should work in a bookstore, I really do.  Anyway, we went to Politics & Prose because one of the members of my cohort just published his first novel, Revolutionary, and was giving a book talk/signing.  The book is based on a true story of a woman who dressed as a man and fought in the Revolutionary War.  I can't wait to read it.  It can be purchased here, and at most major bookstores.

Monday morning I sat on the floor of our new apartment (we still don't have furniture) and I drank tea and read Professing Literature for hours in the quiet.  It was a lovely memory.  Then Monday evening, I went to the Law Center for rehearsal and got to have frozen yogurt with Mike.  I don't see him nearly as much as I thought I would when I moved here, so it was good to catch up.

Tuesday I gave my presentation in Medieval Lit, so I have that out of the way for the whole semester!  What a weight off my shoulders!  And, it was a really fun presentation.  I got to research medieval material goods, and great households, and feasts!  I also included a few pictures of hog butchering in my Powerpoint... what, it related to Gawain! :)  I think I might want to write on Gawain for my final paper; it's  nice to already feel inspired to write this final paper.

And on Tuesday elections were held for next years English Grad Student Association Board, and I am going to be next year's Social Chair!  I might also be helping out with Academic Enrichment.  I can't wait to get started.  We have a really great group on board for next year, and our e-mail exchange has been Harry Potter flavored so far.  Our first event might be a Wizard's Ball. ;)

Yesterday, we got internet/TV in our apartment!  Hooray!  We got all of the movie channels on a free trial, which Zan and I realized might be the death of our productivity, but it's so fun.  Can't wait for the new season of Game of Thones and the beginning of Outlander this summer!!!  Having the internet here is so nice, too.  You don't realize how much you use it 'til it's gone.  Then, when I got to campus yesterday, there were all kinds of free food in the kitchen!  Don't tell, but I may have eaten three large pieces of baklava.  It was just so good I couldn't help it.  After finishing it off I realized I should've taken a picture of it for my "Choose Happiness" resolution.  Honestly, pastry-honey-nut treats make the whole day happy.

And, yesterday, we finally had our first Tudor Theater course!  Yes, finally!  And I loved it!  I was a little intimidated by the professor because she's such a famous scholar in the field I want to go into, but she was very funny and very engaging.  I had expected to feel rather stupid in front of her, but I actually felt like I gave a good showing.  We spent the seminar going over a history of the Tudor dynasty to the start of the Stuarts, from Henry VII to James I/VI, and putting the play we read, Gorboduc, into context.  My favorite!  I left feeling very, very excited for the course.

I also started Rosetta Stoning in earnest this past week, and I really enjoy it so far.  I think they've changed the format up from when I tried the French version about eight years ago.  It's far superior.  I think maybe, just maybe, I actually will be able to read a children's book in Spanish by Christmas!

Happy end of January, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. THIS SOUNDS SO DELIGHTFUL, I LOVE IT ALL SO MUCH!!!!!!!! And eating baklava?? That is my favourite. You are totally allowed to eat three large pieces. And a book about a woman that dresses as a man and fights in a war. Yes please.

    I really want to write you an email and talk about Comic Con plans but life just gets in the way and it gets me annoyed. I am supposed to be packing for a three week house sitting stint... but instead I am catching up on commenting on blogs. That is obviously the most productive thing to do...

    ReplyDelete