Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Classes, Colloquium, and 'Prom'

The past two days have been full of EGSA (English Graduate Student Association) events.  I finished up classes for the semester on Thursday, but the last day of classes felt very anti-climactic after such a long, tiring semester.  I still have so much to do before the semester really ends that I didn't feel able to celebrate, despite the bottle of wine and the cheese plate set up in the seminar room.  Two papers and a large final project stand between me and that feeling of sweet relief.  Eeesh.

On Friday morning I presented what I have so far of my Tudor Theater paper at the Graduate Student Colloquium, did a little work in the grad lounge, attended the last colloquium panel, then made 'Paper Plate Awards' for our second-years--with the help of my wonderful EGSA 'prom committee'-- which we handed out at 'prom.'  Yesterday was all about 'prom.'  I struggled with what dress to wear, fretted over who would pick up the paper plates from the grad lounge, and stressed over everything going perfectly.  Very little academic work got done as I tried to put on the best prom ever.  Luckily, the EGSA board is wonderful, and I got a lot of support.  I felt like in the end, I had to do very little, and everyone else helped to make the party go off without a hitch.  I hope the second-years had fun!

Here are a couple of my favorite pictures from the 'photo-booth' that we set up (my camera on a tripod; bags of costume pieces to make the pictures more fun).




Prom was really fun, but I'm so glad that my EGSA duties are over for a few days so that I can concentrate on finishing up this semester strong!

1 comment: