Although I no longer keep a sidebar list, I still think it's nice to periodically stop to remember what I've read this year. Since my last update, I've read mostly American Girl books. Yes, I'm too old for them. No, that doesn't stop me from enjoying them or learning from them. Each book takes about 35 or 45 minutes to read, so I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something in a short period of time.
As rewards for finishing various stages of my thesis, I've read two Kit mysteries: Midnight in Lonesome Hollow and Intruders at Rivermead Manor. I really loved these, and Midnight in Lonesome Hollow
re-sparked an interest in Appalachian culture, anthropology and
folklife, and also (tangentially) the history of Shenandoah National
Park. Once upon a time Zan and I were thinking of writing a film about the Great Depression and the National Parks. I hope to spend some time doing more in-depth research on this stuff once I've officially submitted my thesis. Then, over Spring Break, I wrote around 20 pages of my thesis-- in order to wind down at night (or, actually 2:30 AM or later), I read most of the Rebecca series over the course of the week (Meet Rebecca, Rebecca and Ana, Candlelight for Rebecca, Rebecca and the Movies, Rebecca to the Rescue).
In addition to American Girl books, I've nearly finished Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (as an audiobook) and I'm about halfway through reading Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal (as a print book). Also--not a book, but-- I listened to the first season of a BBC Radio One show called Cabin Pressure which is hilarious. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch, Roger Allam, John Finnemore, and Stephanie Cole. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a lighthearted sitcom to enjoy whilst cooking dinner or during the morning commute.
So, certainly not the book list I would like to see if I were keeping a sidebar. A series of books aimed at nine-year-olds? A radio show (that's not even a book!!!)? And so little reading, in general!* But, that's why I got rid of my widget. These are media that I've highly enjoyed, fluff and all. And it's what I've needed in the past two months. Since mid-February I've felt that my world has mostly gone sour, and these little stories have really stood out as bright spots in the dreary landscape.
*Of course, I have written about 80 pages of my thesis since my last update, and have read quite a bit for that-- although, not full books, so that doesn't "count." I've also managed to Rosetta Stone a little nearly every day, which is about the only thing keeping me sane.
EDIT on 4/18/15: I forgot to mention that I also read Tina Fey's Bossypants and I really enjoyed it.
I have a SERIOUS passion for American Girl books. Passion for what it was and anger for what it's become. What did you think of the Rebecca series? They've re-released all the books as novels without any of the beautiful vignettes or artwork.
ReplyDeleteI just finished the Julie series and just about wanted to tear my hair out because of the vapid storylines and conflicts she struggles with, also let's talk about a general lack of historical information. But then I re-read Felicity and was like super impressed with how much information and how compelling a story they packed into such short books (there were definitely tears at one point).
Oh! Shades of Milk and Honey, isn't that a delightful book? I promised myself I'm not reading the rest of the series until I'm sick. They seem like the *perfect* comfort for when I next find myself with a cold. =) I was just starting my new job this January and missed the opportunity to proofread the last book in the series - an old friend of mine did Kowal's Writing the Other workshop last year and now she gets to bring Kowal's books to press (how amazing is that??)
ReplyDeleteEnjoy, Abs. The key is to enjoy the reading. It doesn't matter, really, in the long run if you read all the important books if you didn't have fun getting there!