Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Feel It Turn

The world seems to be righting itself, and I couldn't be happier. Things have been looking up since Monday. First of all, the weather has been gorgeous and in the high 60s, which always improves my mood. Even when it was slightly rainy on Monday it was ok, because it was a warm spring rain so I went outside barefoot and danced around and loved everything about life for ten minutes. And the evening just kept getting better as I got to hang out with Mike and Zan. Monday's have become Star Wars night at the apartment, so we watched Revenge of the Sith and can now finally get to the good movies starting this coming Monday. However, Annie made an excellent chip dip, and we had Trader Joe's Indian food, so I was happy. Then, I had to write a paragraph about planting with a hoe (for class) and Mike wrote a hilarious paragraph playing on the use of the word "hoe," and at the the end of the evening Mike drove me home. :)

Then Tuesday was just amazing all around! In the afternoon, I got to plant tobacco with my Material Culture class. It was very different than I expected-- we were seeding tobacco, and the seeds are very small, so we had to mix it in with an agent (ash) and then lightly sprinkle it over the seed bed, then press it down with our feet. It was fun to feel the earth and to feel like I was good for something other than reading. After that, we hoed. It was hard work, but I could smell spring in the ground. Sometimes I really think I'm far more suited to occupational work than academic work, at least eighteenth-century style. I never feel happier than after a good day in the colonial kitchens or after being outside gardening. Overall, the class left me feeling content with life.

THEN, I got to go see the ASC touring company's performance of The Knight of the Burning Pestle with Zan and Mike. We sat on the stage, and though at first I was hesitant to do so, I loved it. We got to have a spontaneous dance party with the actors pre-show, and I waltzed (box-stepped?) with the guy playing Luce's dad/Rafe's Squire. The show itself was fantastic-- I had neither seen nor read it (though I imagine reading it would be quite difficult). I felt as if I had a new appreciation for the theatrical style, given all of my readings for my independent study. It was Andrew Gurr come to life, hats and all :). Caroline and Rachel were at the show, too, and I hadn't seen either of them in ages, so it was nice to catch up. And AFTER the show I got to meet Rick Blunt for the first time, a man about whom I've heard so much. We all went back to the apartment, had a few beers, pizzas, talked, laughed, and watched an episode of the British The Office.

Yesterday was slightly less red-letter, as I had Comparative Race Relations, a headache, and to prepare for my colloquium (there was some Torchwood and Sal's, though, which helped) but today was again great! I had my colloquium this morning and passed with flying colors! I don't have to really think about my thesis again until this summer! Hooray! And at work I actually had work to do, which makes the time go so much faster, and then I had my independent study, which I love! Plus, I found an excellent craft website: http://www.cutoutandkeep.net

I think Mike and I are going to try to make some Green Tea Cupcakes from a recipe on that site. And tomorrow I get to go home, see Kay's show, hang out with Mike J., and continue a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Sometime I think you're more suited to the eighteenth century, period. ;) You should totally move back to DC and get a job as an interpreter at Mt. Vernon.

    ReplyDelete