Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Sphinx The Wasp-Killer

For about three days, a wasp hid himself in my study, appearing sometimes flying near my lamp, at other times climbing on my desk chair. I lived in fear. Then yesterday morning, I walked into my study to find that Sphinx, oh great one, had defeated the wasp. I imagine it must have been an epic battle between cat and insect-- each pulling their best moves to intimidate the other-- ending with the wasp sneaking up behind Sphinx who then, quick as lightening, raised his paw and smashed it to a cold death on the floor. I guess he then carried it next to his food bowl to show me in the morning. I could not be prouder of my cat, ridding my study of the tyrannical wasp and his reign of terror.

Otherwise, life continues on in a good direction. I wrote a five-page paper yesterday and read lots of The Blood of Guatemala at the apartment. Have to do a ton more stuff for Race Relations and Material Culture today, but oh well.

On Thursday I spent an hour and a half waiting in line at Chipotle with Mike and Zan in order to get a free burrito. Let me tell you, it was totally worth it. They even put on guacamole for free. Omg, I love guacamole so much. Seriously. In Bath, Shea used to make a huge bowl of it at a time so we almost never went without it in our flat. Yum. Then on Saturday, we had the graduate student open house where we welcomed prospective grads. They all seemed very nice and enthusiastic, but my favorite part of the day was simply catching up with some of my friends who I haven't seen much of this semester.

In other news, I got a pair of green high-top converse, because in an episode of Torchwood Gwen wears a pair. Not gonna lie, I feel a little badass wearing them, as if fighting the supernatural in Cardiff is my life mission. Continuing the British theme, yesterday Zan and I spent thirty minutes sitting in my parked car listening to BBC Radio 1 because Billie Piper was doing the BBC Radio 1 Road Trip, in which she discussed her new show, Secret Diary of a Call Girl, and reminisced about her time on Doctor Who, and played us three of her favorite songs. The first choice was "I Gave You All" by Mumford and Sons. I'm beginning to really like Billie Piper-- at least she has good taste in music.

I have also recently rediscovered my love of plum wine. :)

Despite the rain today, life feels (mostly) bright.

3 comments:

  1. Sphinx has finally become the man you never named him to be. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came across your blog Abigail - I really like it! I tried to be a "follower" but can't figure out how. Anyway I have one too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to get a cat. I am so scared of wasps which is ridiculous I know.

    ReplyDelete