Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter and a Merry New Month!

Happy Easter! It’s been a very nice weekend, slow, relaxing. Saturday morning I had coffee and donuts with Zan and Mike at the apartment. Saturday evening I had dinner with Stephen, since we only have four weeks left of living together. We want to make the most of our roomie-time. Then I got to hang out with Kacey. We had a few drinks at the Leafe, which was great since I see so little of her these days. On Saturday I also stopped by the farmers market where I bought a bouquet of daffodils, which are still beautifully yellow and fresh looking. Today I ran by Trader Joe’s and saw that they had so much fresh fruit and so many bouquets and I thought, "I just want to surround myself with fruit and flowers; what I wouldn’t give to hold a happy, colorful bouquet while enjoying fresh strawberries and sunshine, to have no cares beyond that moment."

Easter morning was lovely. I went to the 10:00 service in the Bruton Parish Churchyard, like I have done every year since starting at W&M, except when I was abroad. This year, though, was by far the loveliest. The weather was absolutely perfect, the churchyard was crowded, and everyone seemed in love with life. Other than a rather weak chorus of “Jesus Christ is Risen Today,” everything was perfect. Elijah and Maggie were there, and I got a limeade with Jessica around lunchtime.

Plus, with the weather so nice, I got to wear my new white sundress. I love it. I have always loved white dresses, but never actually owned one until now. It’s silly, but ever since I was little and saw the trailer for The Secret of Roan Inish, I’ve had this image of running into the ocean in a white dress. It seems like the epitome of freedom. Every year we would vacation on Captiva Island, and I used to imagine myself getting up at sunrise, before anyone else was on the beach, before my parents were awake, and running into the surf to greet the day. Part of this desire, I’m sure, stems from my love of the ocean. While I’ve never run into it in a white dress, I have run into it fully clothed several times just out of sheer joy, a kind of delightful madness that envelopes me whenever I’m near the sea. I love looking out to the horizon, I love hearing the waves and the way they make the seashells sing. I love how it makes me feel so small, but part of something so immense. It has been months since I’ve seen the ocean, and I miss it.

Of course, Easter afternoon was filled with reading (big surprise!) for Comparative Race Relations. We read about human rights atrocities in Guatemala this week, so… less than cheery stuff. I have so much reading this week. I spent an hour and a half making copies of books for my independent study, plus I have articles for Material Culture and books which I have to read, but didn’t have to copy. My heart sinks just looking at it, but it will get done! Luckily, most of it is for my independent study, so hopefully I will at least enjoy the hours and hours I put into reading in the next few days. And only four more weeks left of classes!

Happy Easter, happy spring, happy renewal, happy April!

2 comments:

  1. I love Easter service. It's such a happy thing. And today was a perfect Easter day, so sunny and pretty and warm.

    I also love love love white dresses. I'm so glad it's dress weather again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, all my sundresses are lined up in the closet ready to be selected....sigh....happiness!

    I've taken to picking flowers while I walk Julep and putting them in the many glass Frappachino glasses I've collected

    ReplyDelete