Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sartorial Surprise

I just spent the last few hours going through my closet and... damn, I have some really pretty clothes. I have about a thousand dresses, nine-hundred and ninety-eight of which I forgot I owned until tonight. I also have a bunch of new dresses, as I've gone on a bit of a dress-buying kick this spring. I have a cute polka dot dress, which looks so 1950s, a Venetian lace dress I haven't worn in years, a strawberry-covered sundress, an all black dress Kay gave me last year which for some reason fits better now, a new blue jersey dress which looks so much like I belong at the seaside, a new wrap dress that I bought at Target (it's light green, so most likely Kay will want it), and some great shirts which match up to these two silk 'petticoat' skirts that I bought over Winter Break, but haven't gotten to wear (they still have tags). I also have some nice accessories-- shoes, hats, earrings. I found two pairs of high-heels I had nearly forgotten I owned, discovered that my new sandals match EVERY dress/skirt that I have, and noticed that my Christmas necklace looks perfect with a white shirt and my burgundy skirt. I have a veritable treasure chest of clothing options.

It's important that I remember this, you see, because whenever I think about my clothing I think, "I have nothing to wear." I start imagining the impossible opulence of the clothing in period dramas which I love, and then of course I feel like nothing I have measures up to that greatness. Then, I decide I need to go shopping, but I hate paying a lot of money for clothes, so I end up buying something for $12.59 at Target or on clearance at Old Navy, get home, realize it doesn't look like it would be featured on The Tudors, and then have shoppers remorse and think I should save my money so I can buy one really great item. It's a bit like If You Give A Mouse A Cookie. This happens about once every two weeks during season changes (from Winter to Spring/Summer clothes, from Summer clothes to Fall/Winter clothes).

But... I'm actually feeling good after this closet cleaning. I'm also realizing that I never have to wear jeans again if I don't want to, which makes me rather happy. Not that I don't love wearing jeans, because I do, but I'm really, really in a skirt/dress mood this month and for the foreseeable future. It's nice to feel like I have that option. :)

I'm excited about getting dressed tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. I really "heart" Logan in "You Jump, I Jump, Jack". Enjoy your new found wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do want the green dress. I have not even seen it, but now I want it.
    We should be roommates again. Clothing options times infinity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have exactly one week of clothes at all times. Sometimes less. Your need for variety confuses me.

    -Man

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am envious of your plethora of pretty dresses. Take them out and dance in the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete