In the bookshop yesterday I overheard a woman say, "I will never buy a Kindle because I love to touch paper." I feel similarly. There's something so wonderful about a book. About the smell of a book, and the smoothness of the covers, and the way they sound when the pages are turned. I appreciate the lightness that a Kindle offers compared to carrying around 300 tomes, but I'm not sure that anything can replace the magic of holding an honest-to-goodness book in your hands. Especially very old or very new ones.
I have lots of things on my list to read right now, but most of them relate in some way to the 18th century or to Renaissance theater. My life feels a tad dull at the moment between microfilm and more microfilm, so if anyone has a book suggestion to spice things up (such as a good romance, historical fiction, or piece of young adult literature such as Coraline or the like) I would gladly take you up on it.
I'll try to provide you with some new reading material tomorrow. ;) And I stick by Sense and Sensibility. I think you'd also really like Possession, by A.S. Byatt.
ReplyDeleteI like your new about me and picture!
Historical romance, perhaps? I always recommend Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series. They're great for reading that allows your brain to heal. Lately I went on a Margaret Atwood kick, but I'm just killing time until I can read Neil G. again after a huge Neil spree. :-)
ReplyDeleteI also love paper. Books have a certain smell that a machine will never have.
ReplyDeleteI yelled at my husband twice now about the kindle... i told him I NEED TO HAVE A BOOK IN MY HANDS! hehe! The touch of paper and smell is key! =)
ReplyDeletexoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons