Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

a bit of earth to make it live

In addition to the forget-me-nots and strawberries, I have planted daisies and soon will be planting zinnias and sunflowers. I have a little garden on my desk. I'm addicted to these mini-planters from the dollar section at Target. There's something really special about watching the little green plants push up through the soil and unfurl their leaves and reach for the sun. It makes me sad that I won't be here this summer to watch them unfold in all their beauty in the garden space outside. Maybe when I come back for a bit in August I can see them all grown up.

Tonight the sky was a still a pale pink after 6:00. I love when the days get longer.

We watched a really great episode of Doctor Who tonight with Vincent Van Gogh and the new Doctor. He will always be the new Doctor to me, I think, no matter how long he's on the show, though that's not to say I dislike him or anything. In fact, I like him quite a lot. But anyway, the episode was really lovely. Not the best ever, mind you, but the themes were really touching and the sunflowers were beautiful. If I had been watching alone I think I might have cried.

It's been that kind of week. Not a sad week or a bad week or even all that emotionally jarring, but lovely and demure and quiet and in that sense a touch melancholy.

2 comments:

  1. this isn't relevant to anything, truly, but I adore zinnias. they're one of my favorite flowers. I hope yours turn out well! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Target here does not have the tiny flower pots. It makes me sad. =(
    But I'm glad yours are doing well!

    ReplyDelete