Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Cruising in the Caribbean

Saturday afternoon I returned to Williamsburg after a lovely seven-day Caribbean cruise on the Disney Fantasy with my parents and Zan.  We had such a great time-- we celebrated two birthdays (my mom's and Zan's), we ate glorious food, we played trivia games in the pub, we met some of our favorite Disney characters, we watched two Muppet movies, and we soaked up the sunshine on the boat and in the ports.  My favorite port was St. Thomas-- I would love to return there for a week or so to actually explore the island and to get away from the incredibly touristy bit right off of the dock.  We had a fruit and rum smoothie with chips and mango salsa at a tiny cafe in an alley, and I think that's when I totally fell in love with the place.

Best bits?  Meeting Phineas and Ferb was definitely a highlight.  I also loved watching Muppet Treasure Island on the big screen on the top deck with the stars shining down on us.  It happened to be pirate night, so Zan and I were dressed as pirates.  I managed to reread I Capture the Castle, mostly sitting with my feet in the pool while a cool breeze played over my arms and face.  If you've never read that book, I highly recommend it.  Zan and I partook of almost every pub trivia, and though we never won, we always came close.  The trivia-mistress seemed to really like us.  We also took a pretty sweet mixology course and made some amazing mixed drinks.











 In sum, cruises are pretty fun.  :)

(All photos mine; please do not reproduce without credit)

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fantastic time!

    Also, that cardigan you're wearing in the Capt. Jack picture? I just bought what I'm pretty sure is an identical one. Of course. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the guy playing Jack ever goes into the karaoke bar and sings Jack Sparrow by The Lonely Island. I would, if I were him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Random - but I love that red dress you're wearing in the last pic. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cousin works for Disney cruises!! He does all the technical stuff for the shows.
    Your pictures look fan-freaking-tastic!!! My mum and I did a Caribbean cruise a few years ago. I'd love to go back. I love ship life. So much food!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, Muppets Treasure Island?? Baby Laura had a big crush on the boy who played Jim Hawkins, so that movie holds a fond place in my heart!!

    ReplyDelete