Once more, I held a Halloweentown party. I spent a bit longer than intended getting ready for the party-- I had a lot of work to finish this weekend, since I'm at a conference this week-- but because this is arguably my favorite night of the year, I decided to let myself be okay with that.
First, Zan and I visited our new Pier 1 Imports and took advantage of their Halloween clearance deals (already on clearance?!) and I got a spooky "top-hat" fascinator, little witches feet to put under doors to make it look like a house landed on her (or, a door, I guess), Halloween napkins, and an owl with a top-hat and a piercing gaze. Actually, Zan got the owl.
Then we went to the grocery store for mini-pumpkin pies, pumpkin cookies, sugar cookies with orange icing and black sprinkles, popcorn, and lots and LOTS of candy. We also got apple cider, which we heated up at the party, and let people choose whether or not to spike theirs with rum. This was one of our favorite autumn drinks in Seattle. One of the girls in my cohort is British, though, and she couldn't figure out why we were adding rum to cider-- she didn't realize that apple cider is a non-alcoholic beverage in the States. "Isn't it just apple juice, then?" she asked.
Once home we set up the food and decorations, and I dressed for the party, and then Zan and I realized we had no idea what to eat for dinner, so we decided to order a pizza, then thought, well, hey, the pizza place is running a good deal on pizzas let's just order for everyone! So we ended up with pizza at the party, as well.
Right on time, people began to show up. First, my friends Kelsey and Mike came-- Kelsey is a huge Halloweentown fan, too, and this was Mike's second Halloweentown party (he attended the first many, many moons ago). Then people from my cohort came bearing gifts of beer and wine and cookies, and we all talked and ate and drank and then the main event: the film! It's just as wonderful as ever to introduce a new group of people to this terrible, terrible, wonderful, amazing film. It's such a masterpiece of Disney Original Cinema. I love it.
All too soon the party ended, and now it's one more year 'til Halloweentown!
It was such a great party. The one guy in your cohort offering the MST3K commentary on the movie was fantastic.
ReplyDeletePhotos! Or at least a photo of you at this party!
ReplyDelete