Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

A Theatrical Weekend

Saturday and Sunday night were both spectacular this week, in theatrical, yet different, ways.

On Saturday night, we had our final performance of The Tempest.  I'm very sorry to see it go, but the last performance was excellent.  I'm really going to miss the cast, crew, and seeing some of my favorite scenes night after night.  After the final performance, we had our GGSS Potluck Party.  I ordered a Wise Guys pizza for my potluck entree and Mike and Kelsey were nice enough to pick it up for me.  I think the pizza was a hit!  And I was happy to have it, since now that I won't be frequenting the law center as often, I'll have no reason to go to Wise Guys... no more sushi or Wise Guys.  Sad day.  But the potluck was lots of fun!  There was mac & cheese with chevre, chili and cornbread, mini-cupcakes, fried rice, cheeses and meats and crackers... amazing!  Then we had directors speeches, crew 'awards', and I received a personalized poster signed by the cast!  I was very moved by it.  I'm so, so grateful that Ben and Sara let me work on this show.  It's been a blast.

Then on Sunday night, I saw Mother Courage and Her Children at Arena Stage starring Kathleen Turner!  I bought the tickets awhile ago, thinking Zan and I could see it, but Zan spent the weekend in NYC (making movies!), so I invited my friend Cara to go with me instead.  We had such a good time!  We ate at Jenny's Asian Fusion by the waterfront; it was very tasty, and-- by ordering only small plates-- very inexpensive.  Then, the theater!  I'd never been to Arena Stage, but the space is beautiful.  It has several theaters within it, and multiple levels.  Mother Courage was presented in the round, but even so I venture to say we had very good tickets.  I really enjoyed the show.  There were a few things about the interpretation with which I slightly disagreed, and the translation was slightly different from the ones I've read before, but overall I give it two thumbs up.  The staging was entrancing, the acting was quite good-- the girl playing Kattrin, especially, was wonderful.  It was also nice to feel like a real human, taking advantage of some of the things that D.C. has to offer. 

Hope everyone else had a good weekend, too!

1 comment: