Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

Valentine's, Friends, and a Reprise

Valentine's: We don't go all out for Valentine's Day.  Our anniversary is coming up soon, so we usually save our "big date night" for that, and stay in on the all-important holiday of love.  But we do manage to make the day special in some way!  Last year we saw Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters; in Seattle we had a fancy candle-lit homemade dinner.  This year, we dressed up (I even put on make-up!), Zan made me a wonderful pasta dinner, and we marathoned the last few episodes of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer.  Plus, Zan got me flowers while at the grocery store buying the dinner supplies. :)!  I love our low-key Valentine's Days.  I also can't believe we're done with Buffy!  Zan insists that now we need to finish Angel (we're at the beginning of season 4, but I got so depressed watching it that we quit and switched to Parks and Rec... which we've totally caught up on), but I'm thinking it's time to make Zan watch all of Veronica Mars, seeing as how the movie is coming out soon and all.

Friends: On Saturday night, we went out for dinner with two of our/my friends.  It's odd, because I've known C&H since I was a child-- C and I went to the same church, and were friends in high school, and H and I worked on school projects together when I was in third grade.  Now H is in my M.A. program!  Crazy!  We had a really great time together, and they were our first guests to the apartment!  It's so strange, like two worlds clashing, but I love having C&H in the area.  It's so nice to have old friends around, who have known you your whole life.  The apartment is really coming together, by the way: we have now, in addition to our rug, coffee table, breakfast bar stools, and couch (!), a regular chair, a make-shift television stand, two end tables, and a dresser!  Whoo-hoo!  Now all we need is a real bed and we'll be in business!  It's beginning to look and feel like a home.

And the reprise: last night Zan and I saw Peter and the Starcatcher at the Kennedy Center!  I saw this show on Broadway a couple of years ago and fell in love with it.  I really, really, really wanted Zan to see it, too.  And, as last time, it was wonderful!  It wasn't quite as magical as it was when I saw it on Broadway, but it still retained plenty of its charm.  And Molly and Boy had great chemistry, and it still got me right in the feels when she said, "It's supposed to hurt, that's how you know it meant something!"  Sigh... I wish I were more like Molly.  Or, since I doubt I'll ever be a Starcatcher (drat the luck!), I wish at least that I could play Molly in a production someday (alas, I have an inkling that I'm too tall).  It's so much fun going to the theater.  It makes me feel like a real human, rather than a "student" human.  It opens up the possibilities of life.  I'm so glad I went ahead and got the tickets for this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment