Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Super Bowl Reminiscing

The one thing that really says "Super Bowl" to me is classic Rotel dip with Velveeta.  When I was growing up, my mom would always make Rotel dip for the Super Bowl-- at least, as far as I can remember.  We would sometimes go to Super Bowl parties thrown by my parents friends, where all of the kids would watch Matilda (the film, obviously) or play board games or draw in coloring books.  We would pop into the main room where all of the adults were watching the game to grab snacks-- pigs in a blanket, pizza, salsa and guac, cheeses, vegetable trays, Rotel dip-- then disappear back to our fun.  I never took much interest in the game itself.  I'm one of those that has perennially watched for the commercials.

I remember one year when the St. Louis Rams played, we had my best friend and her family over.  Our parents and her brother watched the game, while Maggie and I sat at the back of the room, half-focused on the television (for the commercials, remember?), and taught ourselves how to do magic tricks with cards.  My mom made Rotel dip.  I think she also made chili and pigs-in-blankets and I'm sure we had many more snacks as well.  Mostly, I remember being really good at card tricks for a few weeks thereafter, before forgetting everything I had learned. 

I think the only year I tuned into the game, but didn't have any Rotel dip, was the year I studied abroad in England.  I remember watching it at the Northamptons with some of my friends.  Because of the time difference, it started quite late at night and ended even later.  I didn't stay for the whole game, and they didn't even have the American commercials.  But we had Ace Hard Cider and chips and dip and a lot of goodwill.  Those were the days.

The year Zan and I started dating we watched the Super Bowl together.  I remember being adamant about having Rotel dip, and I remember that once the game actually started, Zan and I spent most of the time in the kitchen making brownies instead of socializing with my roommate and his friends.  This year, I am armed with Rotel dip, but just for me and Zan.  We also have some frozen pizza, jalapeno poppers, and I might make brownies!  Or maybe Funfetti cupcakes.  Hopefully next year we can have a party, once we have a couch and a working sink in the bathroom.  I think I might make it my duty as EGSA Social Chair to have that party.  Hope everyone else has a fun and tasty night, too!  Happy Super Bowl Sunday!


*Not a sponsored post, by Rotel, Velveeta, or anyone else.  There are just some foods that I associate with certain things, and my top Super Bowl food happens to be a brand name.

No comments:

Post a Comment