Pages

Friday, June 6, 2014

Satire, a week in

So far, I'm enjoying my summer course quite a lot.  It is a fair amount of reading, but I feel like it's filling in some serious gaps in my literary knowledge: this week I read The Rape of the Lock by Alexander Pope for the first time, and this weekend I'll be finishing up Gulliver's Travels-- another one that's been on my 'reading bucket list' for years.  We've also read The Blazing World by Margaret Cavendish, and a really interesting essay by Maria Edgeworth-- who I really feel like I should have heard of prior to now.  I'm very excited to read more about her, perhaps for an independent project.  And of course, there's humor: almost each day we're treated to an article from The Onion or a clip from The Colbert Report, dissecting the rhetoric, the way that it makes its point, how the satire operates.  And we're trying to pinpoint exactly what satire is/does/mode/genre/etc.  And I've made a friend!  We have a very small class, and a rather quiet one, but there's a kindred spirit in there.  T and I have bonded over theater, and we always have fun/funny conversations during the break. 

Strange that we're already a fifth of the way done.  This month is going to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment