Enjoy!
Pages
Friday, June 20, 2014
Summer Songs
As promised, I'm back with two songs I can't get enough of right now. The first is a Billy Joel song from 1989 that I had never heard before a few weeks ago-- it's called "Downeaster Alexa." It's a different aesthetic from his usual retro-to-rock-and-roll vibe, and I love it (not that I don't love his retro-to-rock-and-roll vibe, too). I also appreciate the social message within. It's haunting. I catch myself singing it all the time now. The second is a song from a band that I learned about a couple of days
ago from my friend Sarah-- "Animal Tracks," by Mountain Men. It's from
their album Made the Harbor. I'm seriously considering
purchasing this entire album. Sarah described it as "Americana meets
medieval chorale," and I think that's very accurate. Its touch of twanginess reminds me of the Siren Song in O Brother Where Art Thou? So today, take a few minutes to enjoy and reflect upon a couple of good tunes!
Enjoy!
Enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete"Down to the River to Pray" (the song the Sirens sing in "Oh Brother...") is one of my favorites, too! This is not in the least bit surprising.
ReplyDeleteI had to delete first post and repost because I forgot to close my parentheses and you KNOW that would've driven me crazy! ;)