Weather-wise, these past few weeks have felt a lot like Seattle. Clouds, fog, drizzling rain, and the occasional half-hearted afternoon sun-break. I've taken my calcium gummies regularly, since they contain Vitamin D, and I've drunk a lot of tea, and I've tried to treat myself nicely in general, but the constant gloom is beginning to take a toll. I keep telling myself to forge ahead, write as much as I can while it's cloudy, and then when it's sunny I can go outside and enjoy it! Yet, paradoxically, after awhile the clouds make it hard to stay in and write. Everything starts to feel like the Doldrums in The Phantom Tollbooth and my little car that went puff-puffing along so industriously begins, of its own accord, to slow as the world grows gray and sleepy. During the three days of my first-year exams in Seattle we had a rare late-spring weekend of bright sunshine. I maintain that my afternoon walks around Green Lake in the sunshine helped keep me sane during that weekend. I worry that to keep up my thesis momentum, I'll need a few days of beautiful weather--and the forecast calls for none.
That section of The Phantom Tollbooth is so applicable to life, especially life in winter. I've begun lighting lots of candles in the evenings. It helps. =)
ReplyDelete