I worked my second day in CW Foodways yesterday. I wore a much prettier outfit than on Monday (i.e-- my jumps!), and a much cooler one, which turned out to be a good choice since we were in the Randolph Kitchen instead of the Governor's Kitchen. As I arrived in the kitchen I was greeted by Barbara, who I have missed immensely, and she told me that Jim (who I've missed just as much) was in the storeroom and to go figure out something to cook. Usually they just tell me what to make, but this day it was up to me. I saw Jim, we caught up briefly, then I picked out 'fried onions' from The Virginia Housewife by Mary Randolph. 'Fried onions' are essentially onion rings. As I returned o the kitchen to begin cooking, Barbara and Elise said they were off to Revolutionary City with a pigeon. I decided to go, too, so I spent an hour or so teaching kids how to pluck a pigeon. I had never plucked a bird before. It was interesting. I felt a little sad, thinking how the poor thing had been alive earlier in the morning. I left before it was fully plucked and began to cook my fried onions. They turned out fantastically! I almost passed out when I had to step into the fireplace to get hot coals from the back to put under the fry-pan, but it was well worth it. Additionally, we broke out the pound cakes from Monday and both were delicious, PLUS Jim had made a chocolate pudding (what we would call a chocolate pie) and let Elise and I eat the leftover chocolate-cream filling. I was well-fed and happy. What a wonderful, wonderful day at Foodways. I would totally do that for a living if I could get hired on the permanent staff. Cooking everyday, having fun with friends, joking, eating, wearing 18th century clothing... *Love*
Today was even more exciting: I picked up my new car from Newport News! It is a shiny silver Acura and I love it. My dad really picked it out, since he knows cars better than I do, and he's so excited to show me every single feature that it has-- and it has tons. I'm a little sad to part with my Honda, though. It's been such a good car these past seven years, and though it's a little worn and doesn't run quite as well as it did originally, it's still full of warmth and love. We aren't trading it in though; my parent's didn't think we'd get enough for it, so they are keeping it as their car in Williamsburg so when they drive down they will each have a car instead of sharing one. So, I don't have to run out to my parking space and hug it goodbye forever, which makes me feel a little less blue. Plus, my new Acura looks sleek and lovely, but as full of heart as my Honda.
Watched more Rome-- Cleopatra came into play, just as full of life and sex as she should be. Mmm I love me some Egypt. Still reading Gone with the Wind, lost a bit of the reading drive after buying Rome, but it will come back, probably on Saturday when I work at the Wren Building again. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment