Pages

Friday, July 10, 2009

A Place Where I Can Bid My Heart Be Still

Yesterday I took the day off.

I had worked all but one day of the past week, including the Fourth of July, and while I was supposed to go into Foodways yesterday afternoon... I took the day off. I needed the day off. I feel so much better than I did. After my dental appointment, I made a spa appointment at Kingsmill, then I bought a Stirato Roll from the Cheese Shop, and had lunch at home using my left over house dressing and goat cheese. I bought an adorable little dress at Banana Republic (to wear in Paris), and a pair of brown flats at the Gap (which I desperately need, since most of my work clothes are brown-toned and not black).

Then the spa. So nice. I got a Spring Rejuvination Facial, which was about the loveliest thing I could have imagined. The music was soft and soothing, the lighting was low, and I could just relax. I let go of everything... the world can't be such a bad place if things like facials can happen. They also had sauna and steam rooms, where I was told I could stay until as late as ten o'clock and no one could find me. A place where no one could find me, and I could just think and be... I feel calmer now. It's still not perfect-- it won't be, yet. But I feel calmer. I feel like things really will be alright.

They say that God is infallible, but I don't think that's the way to put it. I don't think mistakes are even a concept for God. It's not that He's incapable of making a mistake, it's that they don't even factor in. It's as if, for God, there's no such thing. He may be a perfect being, but it's not that he's perfect, it's that perfection and imperfection are not even concepts. We have free will, and I suppose we sometimes flout God's plan, or... not plan. God's will? I don't know. But He lets us. And we learn. And then He smiles, pats us on the head, and puts us back on track.

Maybe there are many, many tracks he has planned for, like a chess-player who can't always see the next move of his opponent, but plans many moves ahead for each possible move that the other could make. I could have chosen to go to Staunton, and God might have had options for me there. I chose WM, so God has options for me here. I could have applied to Ohio, or St. Andrews, and maybe I would have gotten in and those tracks would have opened. Limitless stretching webs that link and don't link and I choose one thing, and maybe it's not a track God wanted me to be on for long. But that doesn't mean He didn't think about what I would learn, or what I would gain and lose by choosing to make the moves I did. Nor does it mean that He didn't think about what paths open next. Lots of them. Free will. But also God's plan. Maybe that's how it all works together.

Anyways, I got home before nine and made a bowl of pasta and started to watch Gone With the Wind, but Thursday is free bowling night with a Student ID, so I ended up going bowling with Maggie and Stephen. SO FUN! I'm really no good, but that's half the appeal. There's no pressure for me when I bowl. Our lane was broken so pins just wouldn't stay up, plus sometimes it didn't count my gutter balls so I got another shot. I think I bowled a 36 and a 67 or so. I can't wait to go bowling again! It reminded me of those wonderful days of Individual Sports at Jefferson City High School. I was just as bad at bowling then as now, but this was infinitely more fun!

I love days off.

No comments:

Post a Comment