The Fourth of July was a success. I had to work at the Wren all day, and it was surprisingly un-busy, thank God, plus I got to close up early because of the Ice Cream Social going on in the Wren Yard. I got home to find Kacey, Kay, and Brian hard at work on dinner, and shortly after Maggie arrived. We ate pizza, bruschetta, a salad with strawberries and sweet onion dressing, and drank margaritas and Firefly Vodka Arnold Palmers. When we had finished with dinner we played an extremely competitive version of "Barbie: Queen of the Prom" in which boyfriends could be stolen until you were going steady, and in which there were not enough club presidencies to go around. It was cutthroat, and Brian won.
We then went to see the fireworks! For CW, they weren't all that bad. It will never equal "Wishes" (which Kay and I hummed), but they were nice and made me feel patriotic to watch fireworks just steps from the Powder Magazine, on a street that saw the beginnings of Revolution stirring in Virginia. After fireworks we played another round of Barbie, and this time I won!
The past few days have been full of work. I haven't had any time off between Bella and the Wren. I drove up to Richmond to have dinner with Kacey the other night, and last night she visited Williamsburg for dinner with me. I watched most of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly at Maggie's the other night, and I'm borrowing Gone with the Wind since I finally finished the book! I bought my tickets for the Fringe show on Saturday, and I bought my tickets for Harry Potter on Wednesday. I've begun to plan for Paris, since I leave in a week.
Mostly I'm trying to remain happy and optimistic, but due to extraneous circumstances this has been a much more trying task than I imagined. I had a dental appointment today that came from Hell, and I got my Welcome Packet for graduate school and I've begun to stress about that-- it's going to be so much work and I'm not sure how I'm going to do it all. I feel like I should have started my thesis already, and Lord only knows if I'll pass the language exam. I feel very alone here in my flat.
I'm so glad I was with you on the Fourth so we could hum "Wishes" together. Anywhere else and I would have been humming alone with people looking at me strangely.
ReplyDeleteI am wildly jealous of how much you and Kacey are able to see each other, but that's okay because I get to see you both this weekend!
And you are being silly about grad school; I'm sure that, having worked with these professors before, you are going to be much better prepared than just about everyone else in the program!