I wish I lived in perpetual weekends. On Saturday I spent hours reading articles and books for my American Revolution class, and I felt so productive and happy. Then Sunday, Mike came to visit and we went to Surry. He had never been across the river on the ferry, nor had he seen Bacon's Castle, which for a WM History graduate (twice over!) is simply unacceptable. It was sunny and beautiful outside, which made for a great drive and a great day. And a great ferry ride-- I love the ferry. It's so nice to cross the James on a pretty afternoon with the river shining in the sun and the wind blowing and the seagulls following the ferry.
But I don't live in perpetual weekends. I live during the week, too. Monday wasn't too bad-- I spent all morning reading, went to class, then spent the evening reading. Tuesday I had to work at the Reves from 8:00-12:00, then class, then reading, then class. I had my American Revolution class, which was rather nerve-wracking, as we eight students discussed the reading for a little over an hour with the professor just listening, and then got a bit of feedback about what we said that was insightful and what was plain wrong at the end. No idea how I am going to do in that class-- Stephen went with me to the Leafe for a drink after. I'm feeling a little tired of reading. I'm feeling a little tired in general. I sense that mostly I will be reading for the rest of the year, until they make me start writing, too. :)
Things could be worse though, and right now isn't too bad. Today I went to visit people in Foodways because I had a present for Jim (an apron that says "I would stop eating chocolate but I'm no quitter") and it was so nice to see everyone, plus Barbara told me her sister is in the theatre in London and if I ever go I should get in contact with her. Then I went to visit Sheri and got scheduled for a few hours at Bella in October, which makes me happy. I have plane tickets to Chicago to visit Emily, Dana, Charlotte, and Christina over Fall Break; I have a wonderful guy in Richmond; I have intellectually stimulating classes; I have professors willing to work on a thesis with me; I have a cute warm little cat; I have a fantastic roommate. I think that all of these things will be necessary to keep me at equilibrium this year. Life is piecing itself together.
Plane tickets to see us in Chicago makes everything wonderful!! Now if only we could find a hotel...
ReplyDeleteI envy you your break time. =) Just make sure you can get to DC sometime Oct 23-25!
ReplyDelete